Green Irish Coffee
Irish coffee is a delicious drink made with only four ingredients; coffee, cream, sugar, and whiskey. Some people vary the ingredients, but I’m going to show you the “classic” way to make Irish coffee and then add a bit of attitude with Crème de Menthe.
- 3 tablespoons of heavy cream – lightly beaten
- 1 ounce of Irish whiskey
- 2 teaspoons of sugar
- 4 ounces of hot fresh coffee
- Crème de Menthe
The basics steps to make Irish coffee are 1 – 5, step 6 adds the attitude:
- Warm your MogoBox.com mug
- You can run the glass under hot (or warm) water to warm the glass. Leave the hot water in the glass while you are making the coffee and preparing the cream.
- Fill the mug 2/3 full of fresh coffee
- Add 2 teaspoons of sugar and stir (3 teaspoons for a larger glass)
- Add 1 ounce of whiskey (1-1/2 ounce for a larger mug)
- Top with prepared cream
- This is the critical step to get the classic look and drinking experience. You must pour heavy cream over the back of a spoon so that about ½ inch of cream floats on top of the coffee. You actually drink the coffee through the cream. You are not meant to blend the two layers together.
- As an option, you can thicken the cream by whipping it with a whisk, ever so slightly.
- Add a drizzle of green Crème de Menthe over the top
- Irish coffee is actually a great drink to serve with dessert or with cookies. There are some who would like to make their Irish coffee look a bit more seasonal by adding a drizzle of green Crème de Menthe over the top. (I cringed when I heard this, then I took a sip of this Irish coffee with Crème de Menthe. It is really delicious!)
- Assign designated driver
- The final taste is affected by the strength of the coffee, the type of whiskey you use, the way you add the cream, whether or not you use brown or white sugar and, of course, the proportions used of each ingredient.
- Another choice when making Irish coffee is the type of glass or mug you will use. The “classic” glass is a 6-ounce stemmed glass. Another familiar glass or mug used is an 8-ounce mug with a handle. Your MogoBox.com mug actually seems a bit more practical for holding a hot cup of liquids.
Yields: 1 serving