Halloween Pumpkin Punch
Ingredients for Halloween Pumpkin Punch
- 750 ml bottle of spiced rum
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 cup lemon juice
- 1 cup spiced syrup
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 1/2 cups sparkling water
- cinnamon sticks for garnish
- dry ice
- large pumpkin or punchbowl
Ingredients for Demerara Spiced Cordial:
- 1/2 cup demerara sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 6 whole cloves
- 6 allspice berries
- 1 cinnamon stick (broken into pieces)
- 1 star anise pod
- 6 white peppercorns
- 1/2 nutmeg (cracked)
Directions to Make the Halloween Pumpkin Punch:
- In a large bowl, add the spiced rum, orange juice, lemon juice, spiced syrup and pumpkin puree. Stir to combine. To make the spiced syrup, follow the directions in the demerara spiced cordial below.
- Once combined, pour the mixture through a fine mesh strainer into a large pitcher and chill until ready to serve.
- Meanwhile, place a large bowl into your hollowed pumpkin. Be sure your bowl is safe to handle dry ice. I used a metal bowl. Next, use tongs to fill the bottom of the bowl with dry ice, and cover with a slightly smaller bowl. This bowl will hold your punch. Again, make sure both bowls are safe for dry ice. Certain materials will shatter when exposed to dry ice.
- Pour the mixture into the punchbowl. Add the sparkling water and stir to combine.
- Now for the fun part. Carefully pour hot water into the bottom bowl so that it contacts the dry ice, thus activating the vapors.
- The length of time the smoky effect will last depends on how much dry ice you use, how hot the water is, and consequently how quickly the ice melts. To keep the effect going you will need to replenish the dry ice as it melts.
- Guests can ladle the punch into their glasses and garnish with a cinnamon stick. Remember to give it a stir as you serve, as the ingredients will naturally separate over time.
- Your spooky pumpkin punch is ready to serve.
- Happy Halloween!!
Directions to make the Demerara Spiced Cordial:
- Add the spices to a small saucepan over medium heat. Shake the spices back and forth so that they do not burn.
- As soon as the spices become toasty and aromatic add the water and sugar.
- Stir continuously to dissolve the sugar. Bring to a simmer and turn the heat to low. Let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and strain through a fine mesh strainer.