- 1⁄2 cup demerara sugar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 vanilla bean, split lengthwise and seeds scraped
- 3⁄4 tsp. crushed cardamom seeds, plus more to garnish
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground mace
- 3 cups apple cider
- 1 1⁄2 cups Old Overholt Rye Whiskey
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lemon juice
- In a small saucepan, combine the demarara sugar with the cardamom seeds, mace, vanilla bean and seeds, and 1⁄4 cup water and bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Remove the pan from the heat and let cool completely. Pour the syrup through a fine sieve into a medium saucepan and discard the solids.
- Pour the apple cider into the saucepan with the syrup and bring to a boil. Stir in the whiskey and lemon juice and cook until heated through.
- Divide the cider among 8 warmed coffee mugs and garnish each with a pinch of crushed cardamom seeds.
Prep Time: 30 Minutes
Yields: 8 servings