MogoBlog MogoLicious Tasty Tip of the Day: This single serving red velvet mug cake has a molten lava chocolate center. It’s a festive cake for the holidays that is ready in just a few minutes.
Red Velvet Chocolate Lava Mug Cake
- 4 tbsp all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/2 tbsp unsweetened dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 1/8 tsp baking soda (see note)
- 2 tbsp buttermilk (see note)
- 1 tbsp fat free milk
- 1/2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/8 tsp distilled vinegar
- about 1/4 tsp red food coloring (see note)
- 2 dark chocolate truffle balls or similar sized chocolate truffle pieces. You want something with a ganache center which then melts to form the lava
Instructions (make in your MogoBox 15 oz. Classic White Mug):
Combine all cake ingredients except truffles into an oversized, wide, microwave-safe mug. I recommend using a wide and short mug over a tall mug for this recipe, otherwise you’ll have to dig through a lot more cake to get to the lava center. Mix all ingredients with a small whisk until batter is completely smooth.
Press the chocolate truffle balls into the center of the cake batter. Scoop some of the batter on top so that chocolate balls are completely submerged under. Cook cake in microwave for about 55 seconds. Let cake cool a few moments before eating.
- You can also use chocolate truffle hearts instead of truffle balls.
- Please make sure you are as precise as possible. You’ll note that you only use 1/8 tsp of baking soda and vinegar. This is a very small amount and estimating it and going over to 1/4 tsp will affect the recipe, causing it to rise too much and dry out.
- Do not leave out buttermilk or vinegar. Buttermilk is key to the red velvet flavor and the acid reacts with the baking soda to make the cake rise. You will not taste the vinegar, but the vinegar also reacts with the baking soda and it also brings out the red hue in the cocoa powder.
- Depending on the type or brand of food coloring you are using, you might need slightly more food coloring to get the shade of red you desire. You should be able to tell if you need more right when it’s done mixing and it’s okay to add a few more drops if needed.
Prep Time: 4 minutes
Cook Time: 1 minute
Total Time: 5 minutes
Yields: MogoBox.com Mug with Attitude servings