MogoBlog MogoLicious Tasty Tip of the Day: A “single serving” carrot cake recipe that can even be made in your microwave and is secretly good for you – it can’t get much better than that!
Carrot Cake in a Mug
Mug Cake Ingredients:
- 1/4 cup spelt, white, or Bob’s gf flour
- just over 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp salt
- optional 1/2 tsp ener-g or 2 tsp flaxmeal, to help it rise more
- 1 1/2 tbsp sugar, unrefined if desired, or xylitol for sugar-free
pinch uncut stevia OR 1 more tbsp sugar
- 1/3 cup canned carrots, drained (or steamed carrots, peeled) (For a variation, sub with 1/4c pureed pumpkin) (60g)
- 1 tbsp milk of choice
- 1 tbsp oil OR more milk of choice
- 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
- grated fresh carrots
Cream Cheese Frosting Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup cream cheese, such as TJ vegan or homemade cashew cream cheese
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 4 tbsp powdered sugar OR stevia to taste
- 1/4 cup silken tofu OR more cream cheese (For soy-free: Greek Yogurt Cream Cheese Frosting)
- up to 2 tbsp milk of choice, as needed for desired thickness
Directions (make in your MogoBox Mug):
Mug Cake Directions:
- In a small bowl, mix dry ingredients (not carrots).
- If you have a blender or Magic Bullet, mix all wet ingredients and blend. (For those without a blender, simply fork-mash the carrots very well before combining with the other wet ingredients.)
- Then mix dry into wet, and stir.
- Pour into greased ramekins or a little dish or mug.
- If using the microwave, cook for 1 minute 20 seconds (or more or less, depending on the strength of your microwave).
- Let cool before trying to pop out.
- Can be served in the mug or pop out and cut in half for an extra layer of frosting topped with grated carrots.
Cream Cheese Frosting Directions:
- Blend everything together in a small food processor.
- If you’re using this recipe to top cupcakes, I’d recommend frosting them just before serving, or frosting earlier and then storing the cupcakes in the fridge, due to the perishable nature of the ingredients.
- Leftover frosting can be stored for a few days in the fridge, covered. Variation ideas: Add pumpkin, or shredded carrot and pineapple for a carrot cake dip, or cinnamon and walnuts.
Yields: 1-2 MogoBox.com Mugs with Attitude® servings