- 6 apples, cored
- 2 1⁄2 tbsp. light brown sugar
- 15 allspice berries
- 15 cloves
- 6 sticks cinnamon
- 1 cup madeira
- 1 cup unsweetened cider
- 2 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1 tbsp. ground ginger
- 3 (16-oz.) cans ale
- 1 (750-ml) bottle dry hard cider
- Peel of two oranges
- Heat oven to 350°.
- Place apples in baking dish; place light brown sugar in center of each apple. Pour 1 cup water in dish; bake 1 hour.
- Toast allspice berries, cloves, and cinnamon sticks in an 8-qt. saucepan over medium-high, 2 minutes.
- Add madeira, unsweetened cider, nutmeg, ginger, ale, dry hard cider, and orange peels; boil.
- Reduce to medium; simmer 1 hour.
- Add apples and any liquid; cook 10 minutes.
- Pour into mugs.
Yields: 12 servings