- 1 750 – milliliter bottle dry red wine (Burgundy, Zinfandel or Merlot)
- 1 orange, sliced
- 3 inches stick cinnamon
- 5 whole cloves
- 1 star anise
- 2 teaspoons finely shredded lemon zest
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup sugar
- orange slices or curls (optional)
- In a medium saucepan, combine the wine, orange slices, cinnamon, cloves, star anise, lemon zest and nutmeg. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Remove saucepan from heat and stir in sugar until dissolved.
- To serve, strain mixture through a fine-mesh strainer. Serve hot wine in small heatproof mugs or glasses.
- If you like, garnish cups of mulled wine with thin orange slices or pretty curls of orange peel.
- This recipe multiplies easily and can be made ahead and reheated before serving.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Yields: 3 cups (4 servings)
Servings Per Recipe 4, Thiamin (mg) 0, Potassium (mg) 214, sugar (g) 22, calcium (mg) 14, pro. (g) 0, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 0, Trans fatty acid (g) 0, sodium (mg) 7, fiber (g) 0, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 0, Monounsaturated fat (g) 0, Folate (µg) 5, Polyunsaturated fat (g) 0, sat. fat (g) 0, Riboflavin (mg) 0, carb. (g) 25, Niacin (mg) 0, chol. (mg) 0, iron (mg) 1, vit. A (IU) 28, cal. (kcal) 211, vit. C (mg) 6, Fat, total (g) 0