MogoBlog MogoLicious Tasty Tip of the Day: Mug cakes are delicious, easy to make, and you can use ingredients you already have on hand. This mug cake, adapted from Table for Two’s The Moistest Very Vanilla Mug Cake, is pretty good on it’s own but I can’t lie my favorite thing about it is the frosting, which also has vanilla beans in it. Rich, sweet, creamy goodness.
Vanilla Bean Mug Cake
Ingredients for the Cake:
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1.5 tablespoons sugar
- 1/8-1/4 teaspoon baking powder (a scant 1/4 teaspoon)
- pinch of salt
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
Ingredients for the Frosting:
- 1 1/2 tablespoon room temp cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
Instructions (make in your MogoBox 15 oz. Classic White Mug):
- In a small mug, mix the dry cake ingredients well.
- Add the milk, vanilla paste, and butter, then mix until just combined.
- Microwave cake for 1 minute. If you have a less powerful microwave, you may need to add an additional 10-20 seconds. When the cake is done, it will pull away from the mug a little bit.
- Mix the frosting ingredients then top cake with frosting.
- No worries if you don’t have room temp cream cheese. Put the cream cheese in a small zip bag along with the powdered sugar and the vanilla beans then mixed it together by kneading the bag with your hands.
- Vanilla bean paste isn’t as potent as the caviar from a vanilla bean because it’s diluted with sugar, but I like it because it doesn’t have that alcohol taste that extract has and is more accessible than vanilla beans. It also gives you those little dots of vanilla like you get with a vanilla bean!
Prep Time: 6 minutes
Cook Time: 1 minute
Yields: 1 MogoBox.com Mug with Attitude serving