Tea and Cider Wassail
- 6 cups freshly brewed hot tea
- 6 cups cranberry juice
- 6 cups apple cider or apple juice
- 3 cups orange juice
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1-1/4 cups lemon juice
- 9 stick cinnamon, broken
- 3/4 teaspoon whole cloves
- Apple slices (optional)
- In a 6- to 8-quart Dutch oven, combine tea, cranberry juice, apple cider, orange juice, sugar, and lemon juice. For spice bag, place cinnamon and cloves in the center of a double-thick, 6-inch square of 100-percent-cotton cheesecloth. Bring the corners of the cheesecloth together and tie with clean string. Add spice bag to juice mixture.
- Bring mixture to boiling, stirring with a wooden spoon to dissolve sugar; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Remove and discard spice bag.
- To serve, ladle the wassail into a heatproof punch bowl. If desired, garnish with apple slices.
- Slow-Cooker Directions: Combine all the ingredients in a 6-quart slow cooker. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 5 to 6 hours or on high-heat setting for 2-1/2 to 3 hours. Remove and discard spice bag. Keep warm on low-heat setting for up to 2 hours.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Slow-Cooker Time: 5 to 6 hours on low or 2-1/2 to 3 hours on high
Yields: 22 (8-ounce) servings
Servings Per Recipe 22, sodium (mg) 4, vit. C (mg) 52, carb. (g) 35, cal. (kcal) 139, calcium (mg) 10, vit. A (IU) 97, iron (mg) 0