MogoBlog MogoLicious Tasty Tip of the Day: Remember the word “indulgence”, however – for the sake of your health and waistline, don’t make a habit of this Salted Caramel Mocha. The star of this show is salted caramel. Its unique taste tantalises your palate before the rich cream, dark chocolate and robust coffee team up to storm your taste buds. The ingredients come together to deliver the liquid equivalent of a warm, blanketed hug.
Salted Caramel Mocha
Ingredients for Salted Caramel:
- 200g granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons salted butter
- 120ml double cream
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
Ingredients for Mocha:
- 4 shots of espresso
- 200ml double cream
- 60g 70% chocolate, grated
Instructions for Salted Caramel:
- Melt the sugar in a pan, swirling constantly so not to burn.
- When bubbling (at the amber stage), add the butter.
- Stir butter in until thoroughly incorporated with the sugar. May foam.
- Add the double cream slowly, mixing to blend.
- Cook for about a minute, stirring constantly.
- Turn heat off.
- Add sea salt and blend.
- Set aside.
- Can always be used up over the next couple of weeks if stored properly.
Instructions for Mocha:
- Place 2 heaping teaspoons grated chocolate in a mug.
- Add the espresso.
- Once the coffee has settled, add a teaspoon of the salted caramel.
- Add 2 teaspoons cream (pouring the latter over a spoon, Irish coffee-style, so as to not break the surface).
- Drizzle with a little more salted caramel.
- Add a dusting of the leftover chocolate.
- Serve and enjoy!
- One tip would for the salted caramel is to drizzle it over chopped bananas on toast in the morning.
- Whatever coffee you use, just make sure it’s a strong, dark roast blend. This is essential as you’re looking for the coffee to power through both the dark chocolate and the heavy cream, which unfortunately a lighter roast would not be able to handle. Plum for some CRU Dark Roast pods as the Brazilian Arabica in particular gives this coffee an intensely full-bodied aroma.
Yields: 4 MogoBox.com Mug with Attitude servings