Oatmeal Cream Pie
- 4 cups half-and-half or light cream
- 4 cups oat milk* or almond milk
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 cup butter, cut up
- 1 vanilla bean
- 4 egg yolks, beaten
- 1-1/2 cups sweetened whipped cream
- 4 3 – inches oatmeal, sugar or shortbread cookies, crumbled
- Irish cream liqueur (optional)
- In a 3 1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker whisk together half-and-half, oat milk, brown sugar, and pumpkin pie spice. Whisk until sugar is dissolved. Add butter. Using a small sharp knife, split vanilla bean in half lengthwise and scrape the seeds into the cooker; add the pod too.
- Cover; cook on low for 4 to 5 hours, whisking once or twice if possible.
- Remove vanilla bean pods; discard. Gradually whisk about 2 cups of the hot drink into egg yolks in a medium bowl. Whisk egg yolk mixture into the drink in the cooker.
- Serve topped with whipped cream and crumbled cookies.
- If desired, add 1 to 2 tablespoons Irish cream liqueur (Bailey’s) to each mug before adding the hot drink.
- Slow cooker twist on classic eggnog can be kept on the “warm” setting for one hour.
- *Look for this dairy-free milk alternative at natural foods stores or substitute unsweetened almond milk.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Yields: about 9-1/2 cups (12 servings)
Servings Per Recipe 12, iron (mg) 1, vit. A (IU) 874, Fat, total (g) 22, vit. C (mg) 1, calcium (mg) 235, pro. (g) 5, cal. (kcal) 336, fiber (g) 1, sodium (mg) 137, sugar (g) 26, Potassium (mg) 192, Polyunsaturated fat (g) 1, Folate (µg) 15, Trans fatty acid (g) 0, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 0, Niacin (mg) 0, carb. (g) 31, Monounsaturated fat (g) 7, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 0, Thiamin (mg) 0, chol. (mg) 122, Riboflavin (mg) 0, sat. fat (g) 12