MogoBlog MogoLicious Tasty Tip of the Day: A perfectly legal treat, and don’t say we didn’t warn you that this stuff is addicting. Mexican coffee may or may not involve a shot of liqueur, but maybe that’s exactly what you need to get your engine roaring in the morning.
Iced Mexican Coffee with Café De Olla
Ingredients for Iced Mexican Coffee:
- 1 tablespoon chocolate syrup (I always make it from scratch using this recipe)
- ice cubes
- 1 shot coffee liqueur
- 1/2 cup cold café de olla (recipe below)
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream or half-and-half
- pinch cinnamon
Ingredients for Café De Olla:
- 5 cups water
- 4 large cinnamon sticks
- 6 whole cloves
- 4 star anise
- 1/4 cup white sugar, unrefined if you can find it
- 1/4 cup lightly packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup ground dark roast coffee beans, regular or decaf
Instructions for Iced Mexican Coffee:
- Drizzle some chocolate syrup on the bottom of a glass.
- Add ice cubes, the shot of coffee liquor and café de olla. If you’d like to create a floating layer or cream, carefully pour the cream over the back of a spoon on top of the drink (otherwise just go nuts and pour on top to mix it all together).
- Sprinkle with a pinch of cinnamon.
Instructions for Café De Olla:
- Combine the water, cinnamon sticks, cloves, star anise, and white and brown sugar in a medium saucepan.
- Stir and bring to a boil and the reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for about 25 to 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add the ground coffee.
- Stir and cover.
- Let steep for 5 minutes.
- Pour through a sieve lined with a coffee filter, or just use your coffee maker.
- Pour directly over your lined coffee grinds basket (obviously you want to make sure that your coffee pot is below).
- Serve hot or bring to room temperature and the refrigerate.
Yields: MogoBox.com Mug with Attitude servings