Hot Chocolate Agasajo-Style
- 1⁄2 gallon milk
- 1⁄4 oz. dried rosebuds or 2 tsp. rosewater
- 1 tsp. saffron threads, lightly crushed
- 3 sticks cinnamon
- 2 whole dried arbol or penquin chiles
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 lb. bittersweet chocolate
- Combine milk, dried rosebuds (or rosewater), saffron threads, cinnamon sticks, chiles, vanilla bean, and sugar in a large, heavy saucepan over medium heat.
- Scald milk, stirring to dissolve sugar, then lower heat and cook 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat; steep 10 minutes.
- Strain into a large pot.
- Heat gently, then add bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped.
- Whisk briskly for 5 minutes to dissolve chocolate and make a frothy head.
- Pour into mug and garnish with chocolate
Yields: 8 servings