MogoBlog MogoLicious Tasty Tip of the Day: What many don’t realize is that Starbucks’s Frappuccinos are actually just glorified milkshakes (calories and all), but it doesn’t have to be that way. If you go easy on the sugar and instead load your frozen coffee with cocoa power, vanilla extract, chocolate stevia, and some half and half, you can get the same iconic mocha taste for half the calories. The recipe developer at The Lemon Bowl maintains that while a mocha frap from Starbucks yields around 290 calories, her drink will only come to 72.
Frozen Caramel Latte
- 2 cups strong brewed coffee, chilled
- ¼ cup half and half (or almond milk)
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 14 drops chocolate stevia or sweetener of choice (ie honey, maple syrup, etc.)
- pinch sea salt
- whipped cream and dark chocolate shavings – optional garnish
- Combine coffee, half and half, cocoa powder, vanilla, stevia, and salt in a blender.
- Puree until smooth about 30 to 60 seconds.
- Add a scoop or two of ice and puree for additional 45 to 60 seconds on high.
- Pour into a glass and garnish with whipped cream and dark chocolate shavings.
Yields: MogoBox.com Mug with Attitude servings