- 3 cups milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 shots espresso, chilled (or 1/2 cup instant espresso)
- 1/2 cup simple syrup, recipe follows
- Crumbled amaretti cookies (or biscotti), for garnish
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- Mix the milk and cream in a 9 by 13-inch glass baking pan and put it in the freezer for 2 to 3 hours.
- Every 30 minutes, scrape the ice that forms with a fork to create a soft, icy mixture. The icy mixture can be made 1 day ahead, stored in the freezer covered with plastic wrap.
- In a blender, combine the icy milk-and-cream mixture with the espresso and simple syrup. Blend until smooth.
- Spoon into decorative serving glasses and top with the crumbled cookies.
Simple Syrup Directions:
- In a saucepan, combine water and sugar over medium heat. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the sugar has dissolved.
- Take pan off heat and cool the syrup.
- Any extra cooled syrup can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up 1 month.
Yield: 1 cup
Prep Time: 2 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Inactive Prep Time: 1 hour