Cozy Cardamom Coconut Latte
- 2 cups plain soy milk
- 1/3 cup full fat coconut milk
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground cardamom + a pinch of whole pods if you have them
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 2 whole cloves
- 1/8 tsp cayenne (or less if too spicy for you)
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 vanilla bean pod + seeds or splash of vanilla extract (optional)
- Caffeine (choose one):
3 black tea bags + 1/4 cup water
1/2 – 2 cups strongly brewed coffee
2 shots espresso
- This recipe is all about the simmering of the liquid with the spices. Add all the base ingredients to a small sauce pot.
- Heat on medium for at least 15 minutes – allow to slowly simmer – but not burn.
- When the mixture has simmered to a slow boil for enough time you can add in your caffeine option (or drink as is for caffeine free – kid friendly!)
Note: strain out the cardamom seeds and cloves before serving (they are shown in photos just as presentation.)
Note: The base liquid will be quite rich – so you can choose to use as much or as little as you’d like. I made a black tea latte with about 1 part brewed black tea and 1 part creamy base and it was delicious. You can even pour over ice for a chilled latte.
Yields: 2 cups