MogoBlog MogoLicious Tasty Tip of the Day: A recipe with romantic notes of cardamom and rose in honor of the love affair between farm to cup milk and coffee
Cardamom + Rose Iced Latte Japanese Ice Coffee
Ingredients for Cardamom Rose Creamer:
- seeds from 10 cardamom pods (about 1 1/4 tsp), lightly crushed
- 2 tablespoons dried rose petals
- 360 grams (1 1/2 cups) Organic Valley half and half
- 2-4 tablespoons organic cane sugar (depending on how sweet you like it)
- small dash of rose water (optional)
Ingredients for Japanese Ice Coffee:
- 400 grams bottled or filtered water, heated 195-205°F (or bring to boil and let stand 3-5 minutes)
- 40 grams freshly ground (medium-fine, consistency of brown sugar) coffee
- 160 grams ice cubes (made from filtered or bottled water)
Instructions for Cardamom Rose Creamer:
- Heat all ingredients except the rosewater over medium and bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally to dissolve sugar. Once simmering, remove from heat and cover.
- Steep 15 minutes to overnight, tasting occasionally. If steeping overnight steep until it reaches room temperature, and then place in the fridge to continue steeping.
- When the strength you desire is reached, strain through a fine mesh sieve. Add a small dash of rosewater if desired for more rose flavor. I add a drop or two (very little) of the concentrated kind for baking (not the kind sold in middle eastern groceries, which is more diluted. you can use that too but would add a bit more to get the same effect)
Instructions for Japanese Iced Coffee:
- Heat the water to 195-205°F. If you don’t have a thermometer bring the water to a boil and let stand 3-5 minutes.
- Meanwhile grind your coffee on the medium fine setting on your grinder, and place the filter in your brewer.
- Rinse the paper filter with hot water and discard the water before proceeding.
- Place ice cubes in the carafe, and place the grounds in the filter.
- Bloom the coffee grounds by pouring approximately 50 grams of the hot water over the grounds (or simply just covering the grounds) and let stand for 30-45 seconds.
- Proceed to slowly pour half of the water in concentric circles over the grounds. Let the water level brew down and refill it to the original water line until there is no more water left.
- Once brewed if there are any unmelted pieces of ice, give the carafe a gentle swirl. Ice should dissolve completely within a few minutes.
- Serve over ice with 1-2 ounces of creamer (to your taste) to every 6 ounces of coffee.
Yields: MogoBox.com Mug with Attitude servings