Toasted Marshmallow Iced Coffee
MogoBlog MogoLicious Tasty Tip of the Day: Have a nice big pitcher of iced coffee chilling in the fridge at all times. Cold brewed coffee is a real life saver during the warmer months. Brew overnight and strain in the morning. You can sweeten this however you like. The addition of toasted marshmallow cream makes it a super special treat.
Ingredients for Iced Coffee:
- 8 oz whole bean coffee
- 3 quarts cold water (preferably filtered), and 1 cup water
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream (can also substitute w/ other dairy or almond milk)
- Marshmallow Creme for topping
Ingredients for Marshmallow Creme:
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/3 cup water
- pinch of salt
- 2 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
Yields: 3 cups
Directions for Marshmallow Creme:
- Stir together the sugar, corn syrup, water, and salt in a medium, heavy bottomed, saucepan over high heat.
- Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally, until the mixture reaches 240°F on a candy/fat thermometer. Read next step to prepare meringue while you wait.
- While the sugar is boiling: Place the egg whites and cream of tartar in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Begin whipping the egg whites to soft peaks on medium speed. (you want the egg whites whipped and ready, so when the suer syrup comes to 250 degrees F you can immediately drizzle it in. If they’re whipping up faster than your syrup is coming to temperature, just stop the mixer at soft peaks until the syrup is to temp.)
- When the syrup reaches 240°F, reduce the mixer speed to low and slowly pour about 3 tablespoons of syrup into the egg whites to warm them Slowly pour in the rest of the syrup, between the bowl and the whip. Increase the speed to medium high and whip until the marshmallow crème is stiff and glossy, about 6 minutes.
- Add in the vanilla and whip 1 minute more.
- Use immediately or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to one week.
Directions for Toasted Marshmallow Iced Coffee:
- Grind coffee beans to medium-fine. Place the 3 quarts cold water and ground coffee in pitcher and stir to combine. Let sit at room temperature overnight.
- After cold brewing the coffee overnight, strain the mixture through a fine mesh sieve lined with a coffee filter (or two layers of cheese cloth). A much better alternative would be to pour through a milk nut bag, and strain. Place in a pitcher and then in your refrigerator.
- Combine both sugars, and 1 cup water in medium heavy bottomed sauce pan. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally, and boil for 2-3 minutes until at a syrup-like consistency.
- Stir sugar syrup into the cold coffee. (At this point you can either add all the cream to the pitcher or add to each cup for a marbled presentation. Either way the pitcher of coffee is good stored in the fridge for up to a week. )
- Pour iced coffee into your favorite MogoBox.com mug ice filled cup (if you haven’t added the cream, or dairy yet, do so now for marbling).
- Top with a healthy amount of marshmallow cream and use a kitchen torch to roast the marshmallow topping.
- Now you have your coffee and you’re ready for whatever the world throws at you!