MogoBlog MogoLicious Tasty Tip of the Day: This is a spicy, lightly sweet hot chocolate with hints of maple, cinnamon, chili powder, and cayenne. The subtle heat builds slowly from sip to sip. I love the interplay of sweetness and spice, and find that this is a wonderfully warm and fortifying drink for bracing winter days. In honor of our Canadian, British, and Australian friends to celebrate Boxing Day.
Spicy Maple Cinnamon Hot Chocolate
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk
- 6 tablespoons Dutch process cocoa
- 2 – 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne
- pinch sea salt
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream (optional)
- cinnamon sticks for garnish (optional)
- Pour the milk into a medium-sized sauce pan and set over medium-low heat. Whisk in the chocolate, maple syrup, and spices. Continue whisking occasionally until milk is hot and steamy.
- Meanwhile, whisk the heavy whipping cream to soft peaks.
- Pour steaming hot chocolate into mugs, add a dollop of whipped cream and a cinnamon stick, and finish with a pinch of chili powder.
- Note: This recipe makes for a very chocolaty drink, dilute with more milk if it’s too much. It’s also pretty easy on the sweet stuff, so add a few more glugs of maple syrup for a sweeter drink.
Yields: 2 -3 MogoBox.com Mug with Attitude servings