Good cream and Irish whiskey, as long as you use high-quality, freshly brewed coffee and very cold whipped cream along with the sugar syrup pays off in a subtle sweetness to this Irish Coffee.
- 1 cup Demerara sugar
- Heavy cream, preferably Trickling Springs or another high-quality brand
- 1 ½ ounces Irish whiskey, preferably Powers Gold Label
- 4 ounces hot, freshly made coffee
- Dash of ground nutmeg
- Warm an Irish coffee glass or Mogobox.com mug by filling with hot water, then draining.
- Make Demerara syrup: Put the sugar and 1/2 cup water into a small saucepan; place over low heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Let cool.
- Whip the cream in a cold mixing bowl until it acquires a ropy consistency. Quickly place in refrigerator until needed.
- Build the drink in the warmed glass: put in 1/2 ounce of syrup (store the rest in refrigerator for future drinks), then the whiskey, then the coffee. Gently spoon cream onto the top until cream is at least 3/4 -inch thick; if whipped properly, it should float. Dust with nutmeg.
Yields: 1 serving
Prep Time: 15 minutes